Interested in drill or music? Great! I'd love to speak with you either online (email, FaceTime, or Skype) or on the phone. Before we get started, there are a few things that I almost always want to talk with you before we dig into the details of the upcoming season. Here are a few questions I tend to ask any new client before we get started. Any info you can share with me ahead of time will make the process go that much smoother and quicker!
- When you look back on last year's show, what worked, what didn't, and what was "missing" from the show? If possible, I would like to see a video or hard copy of last year's show to get a better idea of where you are coming from.
- What are your expectations for your program? What about the kids, your parents, and your administration?
- Where do you see your ENTIRE MUSIC PROGRAM in the next year (including concert, jazz, etc)? 5 years?
- Are there any special traditions about your program that need to be considered? Are you looking to start any?
- Do you have any summer rehearsals before band camp? If so, how many, and what are you hoping to achieve during that time?
- When and where is band camp? Will you have access to the internet and a printer?
- What is your performance schedule for the fall? I judge shows all over the country, and it is very important that I do not get assigned to a show you will be at. The sooner you can get this to me, the happier the judging coordinator for your circuit will be!
- Are there sections or performers that need to be featured? How about hidden? You know your kids better than I ever will, so letting me know ahead of time about the things that make your program unique will let us accentuate the positive!
The more you can share with me, the better we will be able to plan and coordinate your show together! Click here to email me, and I'll almost always respond back to you within the next 24 hours.
WHAT ABOUT PRICING? HOW MUCH DOES DRILL COST?
Short answer: it depends.
Some designers charge per minute, per page, per dot, etc. I don't subscribe to that theory at all. After the initial setup, the advent of the computer has made charting a small band of 20 take roughly the same time it does to chart for 200. In fact, sometimes charting for a smaller group is harder depending on the needs of the show and the students. Instead, I charge based on the complexity and coordination required to make the show work. If the show is 4 songs with a flag change for each song, it doesn't require me to spend a lot of time planning and coordinating with additional staff members.
Complex shows with props and moving tarps, instrument changes, small group and guard features, etc require a LOT of planning, coordination, and communication to make work as seamlessly as possible. We need to know which individuals will be moving the prop, who is the better dancer, who should be on weapon, etc. THAT TAKES TIME. That's where the cost starts to go up. I work just as hard on a Friday night halftime band as I do on a group that plans on making semi-finals at Grand Nationals, it just tends to take more time to complete the latter.
While I can't give you an exact number until we have talked about what you are hoping to do, here are some general numbers to consider. For a group that mostly does Friday night football games and maybe a district festival or two, it can be as low as $1,500. Highly competitive groups that are planning on making it into national semi-finals and beyond can get as high as $5,000. Most competitive programs end up somewhere around $2,500 or so. Again, once we talk about what you are planning, it will be much easier to give you a definitive number. As a former public school educator, I also recognize the potential financial challenges you may be facing. We can be flexible.
HOW MUCH DOES MUSIC COST?
Music is much easier to price out. Here are general prices. Special circumstances may raise or lower the price. I've always got ideas for original shows. In some case, I may already have a few ideas sketched out in the computer ready to go. Click here to email me, and I'll almost always respond back to you within the next 24 hours. For the cost of an arranged show, please contact me for details.
- Previously written original marching show including wind and full pit book
- Previously written original marching show including wind, pit, and battery
- Custom battery book (pending availability)
- NEW original marching show with complete book and 2 line pit sketch
- NEW original marching show including wind and full pit book
- NEW original marching show including wind, pit, and battery book (pending availability)